Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm Chicken!

My mom went to the doctor a few days ago because she had a terrible rash on her back. She was in a lot of pain but thought she got poison oak from working outside. Nope....she has shingles. And to boot, an acute bout of them. She is in so much pain and other than pain meds there's nothing to do except wait.
Even worse, I can't help her out at all. I've never had the chicken pox nor have I gotten the vaccine (okay, okay, I know I should get it). She can't give shingles to anyone else, but she can give the chicken pox virus out. So, I'm staying far away. As a child, I remember sitting next to kids who came down with the itchy red dots. Yet, it just passed me by. I may be immune, but now is not the time to find out. I've always heard how dangerous it can be to get the chicken pox as an adult.
So my card is completely fitting for my mom in a few ways - the chicken, the red dots, the sentiment, and the fact that she got me this set for my birthday.
Along the left side of the card, I used my Scor-Pal to create a grid and then punched holes along the border. I placed a piece of Real Red cardstock on the back then covered it completely with a white panel to finish it off. I love all the elements of dots - especially when you think what the card is for.
Here's a photo of the inside:
Details:
Stamps - Get Well Critters ( C.C. Designs)
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black; Copics (R27, R29, YR04, YR07, C-1, E21, BG10)
Paper - white, Basic Black, Real Red, DCWV Fun in the Summer matstack
Accessories - Fiskars Threading Water punch, Scor-Pal, hole punch, ribbon, dimensionals


9 comments:

Ramona said...

{giGGle} {GIggLE} I love your cards. They made me smile this evening.

Kelley Eubanks said...

How cute!! This is really darling! I don't usually use that word but it is fitting for this card! I am sure your mom will love it. I am sorry that she has the shingles. They say that really is painful. My grandmother has had them twice and my mother has had them also! I guess that means I will get them at some point too!

Unknown said...

oh i love your card and I'm loving that stamp, oh so cute! I want it now lol

The Mama Monkey said...

This is darling and I hope it takes her mind off the shingles for a little bit.

My FIL has these right now, too. They are horrible. He has been dealing with it for 8 weeks. Please, ask your MD if they can run a titer on you for immunity to varicella!

Grace said...

Oh Stephanie this is so cute! I'm so sorry that your Mom got Shingles... they can be terrible! You must feel terrible to have to stay away but you are right... you don't need to get CP. Love this clean crisp card... great colors!!!

JazzyH said...

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Great card!

Jenn Embry said...

Totally stinks that your mom is going through that and you can't help. Very cute and creative card. I love it!

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Sorry to hear about your mom!! But, what a terrific card! I'm sure it will cheer her up!!!! Love it!

katiesniche said...

Very cute card. I hope that your mom is feeling better. There is a test out there to see if you are immune to the pox virus. I had to have it done when I worked at a hospital. The 'pox' on the card are too cute.